County of Maui
Maui Metropolitan Planning Organization (Maui MPO)
Financial Specialist and Office Manager
Position No. 0002
This position is located in the Maui MPO and provides administrative assistance and fiscal and accounting support to the Maui MPO Executive Director. Federal regulations require that each urbanized area have a continuing, cooperative, and comprehensive (3-C) transportation planning process.
Maui MPO serves as the federally-mandated forum for cooperative transportation decision-making between the State and County of Maui. The Maui MPO is responsible for developing and maintaining the Maui Long Range Transportation Plan (MLRTP), Transportation Improvement Plan (TIP), The Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP) and the Public Participation Plan (PPP).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The duties of the Financial Specialist and Office Manager, shall include, but shall not necessarily be limited to, the following:
- Performs procurement and accounting activities: prepares, implements, and maintains internal fiscal policies and procedures; handles office procurement and travel paperwork, including preparation of appropriate justifications; preparation of all required State of Hawaii Department of Transportation (HDOT) and County of Maui Department of Transportation (MDOT) fiscal and request for approval documents, and preparation of all payment and reimbursement documents to meet applicable federal mandates;
- Has knowledge of OMB circulars and CFRs as related to MPO procurement, purchasing, audits, and compliance requirements, especially 2 CFR 200;
- Coordinates activities with State, County and Federal fiscal offices;
- Maintains, documents, and processes all fiscal matters pertaining to the annual UPWP and TIP;
- Develops and processes Federal grant applications
- Prepares all Federal reimbursement requests for the Maui MPO and its participating agencies;
- Monitors and manages multiple Federal Transit Administration (FTA) and Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) grants;
- Develops and prepares quarterly progress and expenditure reports and financial status reports for submission to FHWA and FTA;
- Prepares all grant closeout reports for submission to FHWA and FTA;
- Provides fiscal oversight on Maui MPO contracts, including the review of consultant contracts and amendments and providing guidance for fiscal modifications to contracts
- Reviews appropriate State and Federal fiscal regulations.
- Is able to serve Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBE) Liaison Officer: prepares annual DBE goals, reviews, submits and responds to questions regarding State and Federal DBE requirements.
- Manages the Maui MPO annual compliance and financial audit activities: oversees audit-related activities, assists with the procurement of new audit consults, prepares tables and schedules, provides fiscal input to audit consults and to the development of the audit document. Coordinates audit efforts with Maui MPO’s participating agencies, assists in the preparation of audit conformation letters, review and acceptance of the draft audit.
- Serves as Office Manager for administrative oversight of the Maui MPO office operations: establishes and revises office procedures, coordinates property management activities (new/renewal of leases, office movies, building management/maintenance efforts);
- Conducts research and/or studies for administrative and operational concerns, presents findings and interpretations of rules, regulations, policies, and procedures to the Executive Director.
- Coordinates the Intergovernmental Review process for review of Maui MPO documents by State, County and Federal government agencies;
- Arranges for Maui MPO committee meetings and workshops, including members’ attendance, meeting space and materials; attends and provides staff support at Maui MPO Technical Advisory Committee and Policy Committee meetings and documents meetings.
- Proofreads and screens the majority of outgoing correspondence and documents for accuracy of information, procedural instructions, clarity, format, etc. Receives, reads and studies incoming correspondence, reports and other materials;
- Maintains personnel records and files for Maui MPO staff, including preparing time sheets, leave sheets, and benefit plan modifications; arranges for training of Maui MPO staff, including coordination of schedules and processing of requests.
- Receives telephone and walk-in callers; and services as liaison between the Executive Director and staff and persons outside the office;
- Performs other duties as required.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four (4) year college or university in accounting and/or auditing subjects.
- Three (3) years responsible experience in fiscal operations, maintaining general journals, general ledger accounts, and related books and accounts, preparing balance sheets, and related accounting and financial reports.
- Experience in performing administrative assignments such as office management and/or personnel matters.
- Knowledge of laws, legal codes, regulations, agency rules as applied to transportation planning in the State of Hawaii and County of Maui.
- Knowledge and ability to understand the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) circulars and Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) to explain the federal mandates as they pertain to transportation planning.
- Knowledge and ability to prepare and understand budgets and provide fiscal analysis.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, to include public speaking skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with local, state and federal governments, other government agencies, and other partners in the planning process.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Skill in the use of standard office computer equipment and software applications.
- Specific skills in Excel spreadsheets, tables and fiscal analysis and tools such as QuickBooks or similar program.
The approximate salary range is $50,000 to $70,000 per year, plus benefits.
Applications should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, by November 15, 2016.
Please include: (1) cover letter describing interest and qualifications; (2) resume including salary history; and (3) contact information for 3 professional references.
# # #