WE’RE HIRING: ACCOUNTS PAYABLE SPECIALIST
The Office of Council Services is recruiting for a full-time Accounts Payable Specialist.
Who We Are
The Office of Council Services provides administrative services to the Council Chair, the councilmembers’ individual offices, and the council’s district offices.
The Accounts Payable Specialist is appointed by the Council for the 2019-2021 Council term, and do not have permanent or civil service status. The term began at noon on January 2, 2019 and expires on January 2, 2021. The Accounts Payable Specialist may be reappointed by future Councils to additional terms.
- Independently performs a variety of assignments in departmental accounts payable, purchasing and inventory control.
- Responsible for the handling and maintenance of accounting records regarding payments and purchases which necessitates a knowledge of account clerical methods, forms, and techniques.
- Selected assignments requiring some application of the principles, techniques and concepts pertinent to government purchasing work.
- Manages and maintains all inventory from the Office of Council Services (OCS) and the County Council as defined by County of Maui Personal Property Guidelines and internally by OCS.
- Performs varied administrative functions and other related duties as required.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor’s degree (copy of diploma or transcripts may be requested).
- Research and writing skills and experience.
- Government work experience is preferred but not required.
- Extensive experience in accounts payables, procurement, purchasing, inventory, or a related field.
- Progressively responsible clerical experience, various types of financial transactions and record keeping, office practice and procedures, use of standard office machines.
- Knowledge of: Proper grammar, punctuation and word usage; report writing; arithmetic; standard accounting classification and terminology pertinent to accounts maintenance operations and office practices and procedures relating to the processing and recording of transactions and account information; basic knowledge of purchasing statutes, rules, principles, practices, procedures; travel arrangements; common use of commodities and services; inventory control policies and procedures, acquisition, maintenance, disposal and interface with financial reporting.
- Ability to: Prepare, process, and maintain forms and other documents relating to accounts payable, purchasing, procurement, travel, office finance, inventory, and office supplies; learn the principles and practices of governmental purchasing and the characteristics, the sources of information and supply of assigned supplies, materials, equipment, and services; gather, analyze and evaluate facts and data, make inferences, draw conclusions, and recommend sound alternative for action consistent with facts, circumstances, guidelines, etc.; perform the maintenance of subsidiary ledgers and other complex clerical work in the maintenance of accounts and quantitative records; prepare and draft clear and concise correspondence, maintain cooperative and effective relationship with public officers, departmental personnel, members of the general public and vendors; perform basic word processing and spreadsheet functions, give and follow oral and written instructions.
- Must be able to multi-task, prioritize duties, and keep up with the high demands of this fast-paced office.
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
- Qualification on a written test administered by the Office of Council Services. (Online testing is not available and our office does not reimburse test takers for travel expenses.)
How to Apply
- Download the application form: http://mauicounty.us/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Application-Form-Revised-6-29-2018.pdf
- Submit your completed application, resumé, and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please complete all sections of the application in addition to submitting your resumé.
- In your cover letter, briefly describe how your education or experience relates to the position description and what skills you possess that will make you successful.
- We will review all applications as they are received.
- Application, resume, and cover letter must be received by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, March 13, 2020 to be considered.
$44,260 to $79,792 annually, as established by Section 2.08.060, Maui County Code, depending on education and experience. The Council may assign staff to any step in the appropriate pay range.
If you have questions or need more information on this position, please contact the Office of Council Services at email@example.com, or Marlene Rebugio, Support Supervisor, at (808) 270-7860.
The Office of Council Services and the Maui County Council do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, color, ancestry, national origin, disability, marital status, pregnancy, arrest and court record, assignment of child support, National Guard participation or any other basis covered by State or Federal laws governing nondiscrimination.