WE’RE HIRING: COMMITTEE SECRETARY
The Office of Council Services is recruiting for a full-time Committee Secretary. This is a continuous recruitment to remain open until filled.
Who We Are
The Office of Council Services provides administrative services to the Council Chair, the Councilmembers’ individual offices, and the Council’s district offices.
In the County’s legislative process, the role of our office is to staff the County Council’s committees and subcommittees, and provide objective assistance to individual Councilmembers.
Committee Secretaries are appointed by the Council for the two-year Council term, and do not have permanent or civil service status. The 2019-2021 Council term will begin at noon on January 2, 2019 and expires at noon on January 2, 2021. Committee Secretaries may be reappointed by future Councils to additional terms.
- Works independently with minimal supervision to perform secretarial and committee work in coordination with other staff members.
- Secretarial work includes: using a Microsoft Windows 10 PC and associated computer programs (e.g., Microsoft Word 2016, Outlook 2016) through the office’s computer network and performing other secretarial duties as assigned.
- Committee work includes:
- maintaining committee files; posting committee agendas; attending committee meetings (which occasionally may include off-island and evening meetings); taking meeting notes and transcribing near verbatim minutes of committee meetings (periodically); researching and retrieving archived files; reviewing and processing committee documents; responding to inquiries from other agencies and the public; coordinating travel arrangements for meetings and site inspections in compliance with procurement procedures; and providing other related services to facilitate the work of the Council and its committees.
- Other related work may include:
- light lifting and setting up facilities; operating automobiles and various office equipment; and other duties as assigned.
- Combination of training and experience substantially equivalent to graduation from high school and two years of secretarial or substantive clerical experience. Stenographic skill is helpful but not required. Government work experience is preferred but not required.
- Ability to type at a rate of 40 net words per minute. Prescribed statement of proficiency must be submitted with the application.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office word-processing and spreadsheet software and other computer applications.
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
- Ability to lift at least 20 pounds of equipment.
- Ability to staff evening and off-island meetings and to travel between islands on ferry and small aircraft.
- Qualification on a test administered by the Office of Council Services. Online testing is not available and our office does not reimburse test takers for travel expenses.
- All persons seeking employment with the Office of Council Services shall be citizens, nationals, or permanent resident aliens of the United States or eligible under Federal law for unrestricted employment in the United States at the time of their application for employment and shall become residents of the State within 30 days after beginning their employment and as a condition of eligibility for continued employment. Applicants must provide evidence verifying citizenship or alien registration status and employment authorization in the United States at the time of application.
How to apply:
- Download the application form HERE.
- Submit your completed application, resumé, cover letter, and prescribed statement of typing proficiency by e-mail to email@example.com.
- Please complete all sections of the application in addition to submitting your resumé.
- In your cover letter, briefly describe how your education or experience relates to the position description and what skills you possess that will make you successful.
- We will review all applications as they are received.
$45,297 to $69,696 annually, as established by Section 2.08.060, Maui County Code, depending on education and experience.
If you have questions or need more information on this position, please contact the Office of Council Services at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Tammy Frias, Supervising Committee Secretary, at (808) 270-7838.
Nondiscrimination policy: The Office of Council Services and the Maui County Council do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, color, ancestry, national origin, disability, marital status, pregnancy, arrest and court record, assignment of child support, National Guard participation or any other basis covered by State or Federal laws governing nondiscrimination.