WE’RE HIRING: LEGISLATIVE ANALYST
The Office of Council Services is recruiting for a full-time Legislative Analyst. This is a continuous recruitment to remain open until filled.
Who We Are
The Office of Council Services provides administrative services to the Council Chair, the councilmembers’ individual offices, and the council’s district offices.
In the county’s legislative process, the role of our office is to staff the county council’s committees and subcommittees, and provide objective assistance to individual councilmembers.
Legislative Analysts are appointed by the Council for the 2019-2021 Council term, and do not have permanent or civil service status. The term begins at noon on January 2, 2019 and expires on January 2, 2021. Legislative Analysts may be reappointed by future Councils to additional terms.
- Work in coordination with others to carry out the functions of the Office of Council Services, which include assisting the County Council, its committees and the councilmembers in their legislative responsibilities.
- Routine work includes researching and reporting on legislative issues and coordinating and staffing legislative meetings.
- Occasionally, attendance at night meetings and off-island meetings may be required.
- Other related duties may be assigned, including light lifting and use of electronic equipment.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree. (Official transcripts may be requested.)
- Strong research and writing skills and experience.
- Government work experience is preferred but not required.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office word-processing and spreadsheet software and other computer applications.
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
- Ability to staff evening and off-island meetings and to travel between islands on ferry and small aircraft.
- Qualification on a written test administered by the Office of Council Services. Online testing is not available and our office does not reimburse test takers for travel expenses.
How to apply:
- Download the application form HERE.
- Submit your completed application, resumé, and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please complete all sections of the application in addition to submitting your resumé.
- In your cover letter, briefly describe how your education or experience relates to the position description and what skills you possess that will make you successful.
- We will review all applications as they are received.
$46,523 to $90,623 annually, as established by Section 2.08.060, Maui County Code, depending on education and experience. The Council may assign staff to any step in the appropriate pay range.
If you have questions or need more information on this position, please contact the Office of Council Services at email@example.com, or Maria E. Zielinski, Director, at (808) 270-7838.
The Office of Council Services and the Maui County Council do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, color, ancestry, national origin, disability, marital status, pregnancy, arrest and court record, assignment of child support, National Guard participation or any other basis covered by State or Federal laws governing nondiscrimination.