The Office of Council Services is recruiting for a full-time Legislative Analyst.
CLOSING DATE: OCTOBER 21, 2022
Who We Are:
The Office of Council Services provides administrative services to the Council Chair, the Councilmembers’ individual offices, and the Council’s district offices.
In the County’s legislative process, the role of OCS is to staff the County Council’s committees and provide objective assistance to individual Councilmembers.
Legislative Analysts will be appointed by the Council for the 2023-2025 Council term by resolution and do not have permanent or civil service status. The term will begin at noon on January 2, 2023, and expire at noon on January 2, 2025. Legislative Analysts may be reappointed by future Councils to additional terms.
- Work in coordination with others to carry out the functions of the Office of Council Services, which include assisting the County Council, its committees, and the Councilmembers with their legislative responsibilities.
- Routine work includes researching, analyzing, and reporting on legislative issues; drafting legislation, meeting agendas, and correspondence; and coordinating and staffing legislative meetings.
- Occasionally, attendance at evening meetings and off-island meetings may be required.
- Other related duties may be assigned, including light lifting, transporting Councilmembers and staff as necessary, and coordinating special events.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s or graduate degree. Official transcripts may be requested.
- Strong research, analysis, and writing skills, and related experience.
- Government work experience is preferred but not required.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office word processing and spreadsheet software and other computer applications.
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
- Ability to staff evening and off-island meetings and travel between islands.
- Ability to work with limited supervision on multiple competing assignments while in a dynamic work environment.
- Qualification on a written test administered by the Office of Council Services.
- Experience in one or more of the following fields may be beneficial: land-use planning; policy research and analysis; government finance; parliamentary procedure; smart growth and sustainable development; government relations; housing; human concerns; infrastructure; parks and recreation; transit; journalism; public works; and environmental issues.
HOW TO APPLY
- Download the application form: http://www.mauicounty.gov/DocumentCenter/View/11679
- Submit your completed application, resumé, and cover letter by email only to email@example.com.
- Please complete all sections of the application in addition to submitting your resumé.
- In your cover letter, briefly describe how your education or experience relates to the position description and how the skills you possess will make you successful in the Legislative Analyst role.
$47,919 to $100,996 annually, as established by Section 2.08.060, Maui County Code, depending on education and experience. The Council may assign staff to any step in the appropriate salary range.
If you have questions or need more information on this position, please contact the Office of Council Services at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Traci Fujita, Director, at (808) 270-7838.
Nondiscrimination policy: The Office of Council Services and the Maui County Council do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, color, ancestry, national origin, disability, marital status, pregnancy, arrest and court record, assignment of child support, National Guard participation, or any other basis covered by State or Federal laws governing nondiscrimination.